Strange though it may seem, I (one of the palest blonde haired, blue-eyed ladies ya ever did see) have been called a "gangsta" on more than one occasion. The first time was when I tutored math at an alternative high school.
The alternative high school is located on the far north side of Chicago, on the edge of a neighborhood in decline. Students range from 16 - 21 years old and this, often times, is their last chance to receive a legitimate high school diploma as opposed to a G.E.D. Most of the students are there after being kicked out of multiple places, are on house arrest, and/or live in a group home. Not being certified yet, I was only allowed to tutor, which I did full-time, as well as lead an after school program.
One of my students was clearly at a level far below the others. He required more one-on-one assistance when he actually came to school. My intentions were completely honorable and strictly professional. However, after some time I began to fear that he had developed a crush on me. He was the first one who called me "gangsta."
"Ms. G., you an O.G."
"An 'O.G.'? What's that?"
"You're kidding, right?"
I assured him I was not.
"O.G., original gangsta"
This year I was again dubbed such.
"Ms. G., it makes sense that you go by that because you a gangsta," Cecilia said one day out of the blue, as are most of the things that she utters.
To which I respond, "No, no, no... I'm an O.G., original gangsta!"
Cecilia grins widely, "Can we call you Ms. O.G.?"
"Sure," I say with a smile of my own.
The kids called me "Ms. O.G." for about a week before they forgot it. Now the only one who does is Cecilia occasionally ...usually when she's trying to butter me up.
***************
Today we had a special day at school. We enjoyed a pajama party of sorts. Around midday Cecilia stepped out and came back dressed in bear themed footie pajamas, a onesie.
"I love your costume! Once, in high school, I dressed up as a cow."
"You did? With, like utters and everything?!" She says as she gestures to her abdomen.
"Yup!"
"I have to take your picture!"
Then Cecilia, who obviously wore this costume for attention and is a constant seeker of it, suddenly gets shy, turns beet red, and covers half of her face with her hands as I say "cheese!" (Glad that she did though because now I can post her picture without fear of endangering her.)
A few minutes later Cecilia leaves the classroom when needed (her wandering is a common predicament), "Ugh, Cecilia! That's it, I'm goin' on a bear hunt!"
*cue snickering students*
No comments:
Post a Comment